Thursday 26 September 2024

Trusting God to the end (Is. 36-39)


One of the books that has impacted me most is Don Carson’s ‘How long, O Lord?’  When I read it I was struck by his comments of Hezekiah: ‘When he was under sentence of death, he begged the Lord for fifteen more years, and received the extra spam.  And in the course of those fifteen years he blew his entire reputation for integrity in one instance prompted by foolish pride … the bearing his action had on future of his nation was disastrous … That is why I decided that there are worse things than dying.  I do not know how many times I have sung the word, “O let me never, never, outlive my love for Thee”, but I mean them.  I would rather die than end up unfaithful to my wife; I would rather die than deny by a profligate life what I have taught in my books; I would rather die than disown the gospel.  God knows that there are many things in my past of which I am deeply ashamed; I would not want such shame to multiply and bring dishonour to Christ in years to come.  There are worse things than dying.’

Context

In the previous chapters (28-35) the challenge has been to trust God.  Now we have a section of historical narrative about King Hezekiah (note the different layout in the NIV).  Hezekiah has to trust God in his particular situation.  Hezekiah is the son of Ahaz, who did not trust God.  It is 701 B.C. Sennacherib is king of Assyria, the superpower of the time.

Will we trust God under pressure? — Chapter 36

And the king of Assyria sent the Rabshakeh from Lachish to King Hezekiah at Jerusalem, with a great army.  As he stood at the conduit of the upper pool on the highway to the Washer’s Field (2).  This is the same location where Hezekiah’s father, Ahaz, refused to trust God thirty years earlier (7:3).  Ahaz, did not trust God but made a deal with the Assyrians, which had led to the current crisis.

Rabshakeh engages is psychological warfare.  The word ‘trust’ is used seven times in seven verses (4-10).  ‘… on what do you rest this trust of yours?’ Rabshakeh taunts (4c).  In his mockery there is a contrast between ‘mere words’ (5) and ‘a great army’ (2).  The officials of Jerusalem ask Rabshakeh’s men not to speak Hebrew—the people’s language, but rather to speak them in Aramaic so that the ordinary people will not realise how bad things are (11).

There is threat and promise from Rabshakeh.  ‘Don’t believe it when Hezekiah tells you to trust the Lord.’  ‘Has any god delivered his land from the King of Assyria?’  Make peace with me and co e out to me.  Then each of you will eat at his own vine … (16).  Can’t you hear an echo of satan?  ‘Don’t you see that you are on the wrong side of history?’  ‘Do you really believe Christ will win?’  ‘Are you really going to trust Him in this crisis?’ ‘Aren’t there pleasures the world has t offer you?’

Glorify God by being broken—Chapter 37

Hezekiah trusts the Lord (1).  Unlike his father Ahaz he turns to God in the crisis.  He is broken and dependant.  In verse 3, it is as if he is saying, ‘We admit it.  We’ve failed … We must be delivered but we have no strength to do it ourselves’.  He cares that God is being mocked and he prays (6).

Commenting on verses 6-7 Ray Ortland asks, ‘when was the last time you made a major decision that was so clearly of God that and so clearly not of yourself that your decision actually surprised you? … Begin by trusting God to forgive you even the lost opportunities.  Start here.  He is a deliverer.  Trust him for that even now.’

Rabshakeh is drawn away from Jerusalem by news of an approaching Cushite force, but he sends a message to Hezekiah saying that he will be back.  Hezekiah goes to God gain and prays again and is again concerned for the glory of the Lord.  Indeed, the first time he was under pressure Hezekiah went to the temple and asks Isaiah to give him a word from God.  This time he asks God directly.  ‘O LORD our God, save us from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know you along are the LORD’ (20).

Do you want God’s glory to be seen in your life?  Then stop acting like you have it all together!  Admit you are broken.  Acknowledge your evil.  Let people know that your only hope is Jesus!

God puts the king of Assyria in his place, and Hezekiah.  See how God is in control.  Have you not heard that I determined it long ago?  I planned from days of old what I bring to pass that you should make fortified cities crash into heaps of ruin’ (20). 

God will save the city for the sake of His servant David (35).  ‘Why does God put up with us?  Why does god defend us?  Not because of anything in us but for his own sake and for the sake of the ultimate David, Jesus Christ.  He is committed to us because our Substitute.  This is our strong position with God’(Ortland).

The chapter ends with Sennachrib’s fall.  On one night 185,000 Assyrian soldiers are killed by the Angel of the Lord.  Sennachrib returns home, and twenty years later is killed.      

The need to last to the end—chapters 38-39

Sadly, Hezekiah fails. 

The crisis is now personal.  He gets sick and is going to die.  God tells him to get things in order.  He pleads with god, and God gives him another fifteen years.  In that fifteen years he ruins his reputation and brings disaster to the nation. 

In chapter thirty-eight Hezekiah praises God for His deliverance—a fact that makes his fall so strange.  The fall came after such a great declaration of faith.

In chapter thirty-nine comes the fall.  The Babylonians comes with the congratulations.  Babylon in the Bible constantly pictures everything that is wrong with the world.  Hezekiah shows off his royal wealth.  How often the church seeks to impress the world!  We want the world to think we are important.  We want the world’s applause.  The Babylonians will take Jerusalem into exile, and the very wealth that Hezekiah shows them will be theirs.  Note how our failing affect others—as a father’s evil hurts his children or a Christian leader’s fall damages their disciples.

Note how this chapter ends.  Hezekiah says that ‘Babylon will invade, but don’t worry I will die at peace in my own bed because it will not happen during my lifetime.’

Conclusion

Every time a king of God’s people fails in the Old Testament we are reminded the need for a better king.  Jesus is our king who is humble to the end and passes every test.  He is fulfilment of all God’s promises.  He is the word that we can trust.  He was broken so that we could approach God with our brokenness.  So, how do we remain faithful to the end?  We remember to be to keep humble—lest when we think we are strong we fall.

‘When he was under sentence of death, he begged the Lord for fifteen more years, and received the extra spam.  And in the course of those fifteen years he blew his entire reputation for integrity in one instance prompted by foolish pride … the bearing his action had on future of his nation was disastrous … That is why I decided that there are worse things than dying.  I do not know how many times I have sung the word, “O let me never, never, outlive my love for Thee”, but I mean them.  I would rather die than end up unfaithful to my wife; I would rather die than deny by a profligate life what I have taught in my books; I would rather die than disown the gospel.  God knows that there are many things in my past of which I am deeply ashamed; I would not want such shame to multiply and bring dishonour to Christ in years to come.  There are worse things than dying’ (Carson).

No comments: