Thursday 14 August 2014

Review of Mark Driscoll's new book

Someone very kindly gave me a copy of Mark Driscoll's new book ('The Call to Resurgence') in a manner that suggested that this was contraband.  I even felt a little worried about whether I should be reading it, given all the trouble Driscoll has been in (including claims of harsh leadership, sexism and crudity) and the particular trouble (claims of plagiarism) surrounding this book.

However I must admit I am loving it.  I am only a third of the way through, so my thoughts are at a premilinary stage.  The book is primarily related to the American Christian scene and has the feel of being Driscoll's thinking on everything church and culture related. At times his humour is a little pushed yet often he is genuinely funny.  He admits to many failings and actually comes across as likeable.  He speaks of people in other evangelical tribes respectfully (although some will think his definition of evangelicalism as being too narrow).  Some will be annoyed that he treats the 'emergent' stream of Christianity as if it is a fade that has passed and takes little note of emergent leaders.  At times he shows glimpses of the attitudes that have got him in so much trouble.

If you have no interest in the American evangelical scene then this book is probably not for you.  His classification of evangelical 'tribes' is interesting (he tells you what tribe he is in without actually pushing the position of any one tribe).  If you are one of those people who can't stand Driscoll then you will find enough rope in this book to hang him.  However I am finding it an enjoyable read with many interesting insights.

PS.  If your conscience won't let you buy this book you can borrow mine when I am finished (but I'll charge you for post and packaging).


No comments: