Wednesday 2 May 2012

Hunger

Tonight I am starting a new series of Bible studies.  These are different than my normal, in that they are thematic.  I am looking at the concept of experiencing God and beginning with the idea of hunger.  I have posted it here.
    
Introduction (Video): Alice Cooper
    
Reading: Psalm 63:1

You, God, are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water.
      
Quotes:
'You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in you' (Augustine).
'Come near to the holy men and women of the past and you will soon feel the heat of their desire after God.  They mourned for Him, they prayed and wrestled and sought for Him day and night, in season and out, and when they found Him the finding was all the sweeter for the long seeking' (Tozer).

Questions:
The Psalms urge us to 'seek God's face'.  Why might we not want to see more of God?
How do we increase our appetite for God?
 
Quote:
Tozer teaches us how to increase our love for God. '... the love we have for God is not the love of feeling, but the love of willing.  Love is within the power of choice, otherwise we would not be commanded to love God nor held accountable for not loving Him ... We should set our hearts to love God supremely, however cold or hard they may seem to be, and go on to careful and happy obedience to His Word..  Enjoyable emotions are sure to follow.  Bird songs and blossoms do not make a spring, but when spring comes they come with it.'
  
In other words it is not feelings that are to prompt obedience but obedience that results in genuine feelings. 
 
Feelings à Actions  

Actions à Feelings
    
Question:
When were you most aware of God's presence with you?
 
Thought:
Often I quote Isaiah 62:5 at weddings.
... as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride,
so will your God rejoice over you.
    
I tell the congregation to watch the groom leaving the building with his bride by his side, looking like the cat that got the cream.  Here is a picture of the love God has for his people.  It is a love that we can experience.  Does that seem too good to be true?
 
The Lord your God is with you,
the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
in his love he will no longer rebuke you,  
   
but will rejoice over you with singing.
                                               (Zeph. 3:17)

Prayer:
'I'm ready, Lord.  I've waited and pretended too long.  The divine discontent in my soul is unbearable, and my hunger for more of You is a consuming fire.  Finish Your work in me, Lord, and in my pursuit of Your presence let me become the pursued' (Tommy Tenney). 

No comments: