Saturday 21 August 2010

God loves to love his people!

If I was ever to write a book I would major on the minors.  It would have to have a nice cover.  It would have to have an index and a list of scripture references.  It could neither be too long nor too short.  I could say that all the paragraphs should be about the same length but that is my O.C.D. at work (seriously!).  Most importantly it would have to have the right number of words per page (I hate when it takes ages to get through the page of a book).

Having recently finished Jerry Bridges's book 'Is God really in control?' I can say that it fails when it comes to index and scripture references.  It is also probably a bit too short and I didn't particularly like the cover.  However, it has a nice word per page and so you feel you are moving through it at a good pace.

More importantly this book is well argued.  It has the reformed feeling of Carson's 'How long, O Lord?' but it is much lighter.  It gives a good biblical framework on the issue of God's Sovereignty.  I am currently looking for books that I would recommend and this makes the list.

One quote that I loved relates to Zephaniah 3:17 ('The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing', NIV).  Bridges quotes Matthew Henry on this verse, who says, 'The great God not only loves his saints, but loves to love them.'

No comments: