Tuesday 23 June 2009

Five books (and five books)

Virtual Methodist and Jools are doing this thing where you list five books that have changed the way you read the Bible. I want to simply list five books that have influenced me and five books I have in my study that I know I should read.

Five books that have influenced me:
1. Don Carson, How Long, O Lord?
I purchased this book on the recommendation of John Wonnacott (who takes no responsibility for any of the contents you may disagree with). I was in Edgehill and about to do a summer placement in Sri Lanka. I thought that the issue of suffering might become more pressing in the context of the two-thirds world. What struck me about this book was how thoroughly engaged with the Biblical text Carson is. When I discussed suffering with some people they simply answered 'I think ...' which caused me to appreciate the reasoning of this book even more.
I know that Northern Ireland is filled with Carson-phobes and Carson-philes, I among those who read a lot of what he writes.
2. F. F. Bruce, Is the New Testament Reliable?
This book is no page-turner, however neither is it long! I found it reassuring to see an evangelical who held a significant post in a secular university defend the historicity of the New Testament. The thing that remained with me is his comment that if the New Testament were not a religious text its authenticity would be beyond question.
3. Don Carson Showing the Spirit.
This is an exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14. The reason this makes it onto this list is for its closing chapter. Here Carson surprised me by defending the idea of tongue-speaking in today's church, seeing the gift of prophecy as having a revelatory content, and even speaking graciously about John Wimber. It made me feel more confident to explore the use of these gifts (particularly prophecy) in our church context. [If this was an accurate list of books that impacted me Carson's The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God would also be on it. But that would be too much Carson for some].
4. Steve Arterburn and Fred Stoeker, Every man's battle.
This book is far too American for many. It deals with the theme of sexual purity and I found it a very helpful, though incomplete, look at the topic.
5. Ernest Lucas, Can we believe Genesis today?
I call myself an agnostic on such issues as the duration of creation etc. (in order to save me from getting into heated debates on something that I do not see as being of central importance) so I do not stand over everything that Lucas writes. It is also a while since I read this book so I can't remember all his arguments. However I found this very interesting reading. Lucas appears to hold credible scientific and theological qualifications which added weight to what he writes.
Five books I have in my study I know I must read/finish:
I buy more books than I read. I know that the following would be very useful to read/finish if I would only take the time.
1. Ken Bailey, Jesus through middle eastern eyes. Recommended by Melvin Tinker (whose sermons I think are excellent).
2. John Stott, The Cross of Christ. I was really enjoying this and then put it down for too long. It surely remains a significant book in light of all the debates on the atonement.
3. K. A. Kitchen, On the reliability of the Old Testament. It looks both heavy and dry but would seem to be a key evangelical text on this issue.
4. Don Carson, The Cross and Christian Ministry. It is recommended by people like C.J. Maheney, in his great little book Living the cross-centred life.
5. Dallas Willard, Renovation of the Heart.

2 comments:

Virtual Methodist said...

Interesting list... even tho there are more Carson books on it than there would be on mine ie 0... tho I am forever recommending his Holy Sonnets of the Twentieth Century to folks. My main problem with him (and also John Piper) is their tendency to dismiss out of hand variant opinions to his own. If Showing the Spirit is an exception to that I might well have a look at it...
Was sent Ernest Lucas's book to review, but never got round to it, but his other stuff while at LICC was excellent. The summary of his position accords with my own...

Virtual Methodist said...

ps Definitely look at Ken Bailey's stuff...