Saturday 28 August 2010

Growing in the Word

I have been reading Everything you want to know about the Bible by Peter Downey and Ben Shaw.  I would concur with The Briefing that this is a good resource for older youth but that it should give more directions as to how the Old Testament points forward to Christ.  I am thinking about using it with our 15-18s with a supplement.  It is a really enjoyable read, contains a good overview of the narrative of the Bible and has some fascinating pieces of information.
At the back the wrote something that I resonate with:
It isn't enough just to hear passages read out loud in church once a week.  This would be like trying to learn to play the guitar by watching a music-video clip on television once a week.  It would not come to much.  You have to get into it yourself.
As my time in Richhill is now in its last year I have been wondering if the congregation have grown in their understanding of the Bible during the years I have been here. I realised that no matter how much effort you put into preparation of sermons and small groups they will only develop a limited understanding if they aren't reading at home for themselves.

No comments: